Cumbria Household Waste Recycling Centres to reopen with restrictions in place
The Labour/Liberal Democrat executive of Cumbria County Council have decided that their Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs) will be reopened from Tuesday 12 May for a restricted service following an agreement with Renewi Cumbria Ltd and Cumbria Waste Management, the companies that operate the sites.
The sites at Penrith [Flusco], Kirkby Stephen, Wigton, Carlisle and Brampton will be opened on 12th May.
The following Site Rules (which are in line with Government guidance) have been set out by Cumbria County Council and will inform the Cumbria Police plan:
- Journeys to HWRCs must only be undertaken if your waste or recycling cannot be stored at home safely or disposed of safely by other means. i.e. the waste cannot be stored without causing risk of injury, health or harm.
- The sites are accepting normal waste streams with the exception of asbestos. Please do not bring asbestos to site but arrange for professional removal in due course.(Waste streams may be subject to change at short notice due to the ability to service the sites).
- Ideally only one person should attend, but if one additional passenger has to visit site, they must be from the same household.
- Strict social distancing measures will be in place across all HWRC sites, which means that the number of visitors will be limited. If long queues form, people may be asked to go home and return another day/time.
- All site users must adhere to the 2 metre social distancing rules in place.
- The site operatives will not be permitted to help carry your waste, please do not ask them to and only bring what you can safely carry.
- No vans, trailers or commercial vehicles of any type will be allowed on site.
- No one should attend the site if they are shielding and/or self-isolating due to possible Covid-19 symptoms.
- If any household had Covid-19 symptoms, then the waste should be left for 72 hours before being brought to site. Waste should be doubled bagged.
- No pedestrians will be allowed on the site.
- The current permitting scheme (for vans and pedestrians) will continue to be suspended and no permits will be issued.
- Please check the council's website before setting out to a HWRC